Musicademy Newsletter 8 August 2014
Women on the sound desk?
How often do you go to a women’s conference and find a man on the sound desk? Read what happened when this group of women decided to go it alone and what they are going to do in future to hone their tech skills.
Calling all electric guitarists! Would you buy this new product?
We’ve come up with a new product idea for guitarists but need to hear from you as to whether it’s actually viable. Click to read all about it and listen to some audio samples.
Free MultiTrack backing track from Worship Central’s Ben Cantelon
Click to download Ben Cantelon’s I’ve Found a Love (Love Came Down) free of charge throughout August.
Which songs are you using in kids’ worship? What makes a great all-age worship song?
Some useful suggestions here and the start of an interesting discussion about which songs kids are really engaging with.
Over on Facebook
As you’ll know we try and collate some interesting articles and news stories from around the world on our Facbeook page. Here’s the latest:
- Lengthy positive article on a growing Manchester church from The Independent Newspaper
- Flamenco-dancing priest brings congregation flocking back to church in Spain
- Does giving away money (or indeed having a faith) make you happier? Research by the Freakonomics team
- Research on hit songs and their relative obscurity
- Does the old Boney M song and Psalm give us a vocabulary for our times? Script from BBC Radio 4′s Thought for the Day
- Bible verses suitable to theme a worship training event – do you have any other verses you could add to the ideas pot?
Two UK training days
We have two training days planned this year in the UK. One in Huddersfield (in association with Big Church Night In) and the other in Buckinghamshire. Both feature band skills, playing by ear, guitar and keys masterclasses, improvisation for orchestral instruments and a separate stream for vocalists. In Bucks we are joined by SFL Group who will be running a stream in sound tech and PA training. Group booking discounts available. Do book early as our last training day sold out well in advance. Read More