Play by ear and understand chords
Would you like to be able to hear a song and spontaneously find the chords without sheet music?
Would you like to be able to understand chords more deeply so you could transpose, rearrange and even find new chords for song writing?
A comprehensive course for learning to play by ear. Gain a deeper understanding of what you can do with chords.
Great for transcribing, arranging, transposing, improvising, songwriting or just getting away from the sheet music.
This 8-hour 4-DVD course will guide you through the process of working out what chord comes next in any song by ear then how to transpose into any other key. It will even teach you how to substitute chords to change the mood or feel of a song. Perfect for working out chord charts from CDs, song writers, band directors or anyone wanting a thorough understanding of chord theory.
Plus each section includes plenty of in-depth demos, play alongs and there are 16 tests to maximise your learning. Musicademy Director, Andy Chamberlain says: “This is the most comprehensive video series we’ve ever made. It has the potential to transform the musicality of your entire worship team“.
You’ll learn about:
Keys, notes and scales
- Finding and understanding keys
- The major scale
- Three types of minor scale
Chords – their notes, sounds and construction
- Major, minor diminished and augmented chords
- Suspended, add9, & power chords
- Extended chords
- Inversions and slash chords
- Other types of chords
- Hearing diatonic and chromatic intervals
- Hearing the sounds of different types of chord
- Hearing chord progressions & bass lines
- Hearing chords outside the key
- Playing songs by ear
- Working out a song by ear without sheet music
- Songs in both major and minor keys
- Songs with chords outside the key
- Putting songs into other keys by ear
- The Nashville numbering system
- Key transposing for orchestral instruments
- Chord substitutions
- Developing chord knowledge for song writing
Over 8 hours of lessons, tips and backing tracks demos and tests on 4 DVDs
Suitable for guitar, bass, keyboard & orchestral players, even singers!
- Andy Chamberlain – founder of Musicademy and previously guitarist for Matt Redman, Tim Hughes and Vicky Beeching
- Tim Martin – former high school music teacher, graduate of London School of Theology, now music minister at Christ Church Bristol and presenter of the Musicademy Keyboard and Orchestral Instrument DVDs