A step-by-step course on three DVDs unpacking the practical band skills that turn you into a seasoned musician and invaluable worship team player.
This Band Skills Course is also available to purchase separately as downloads and on our Subscription Site along with over 2,000 other lessons.
Topics covered include:
- Who stands where and why - exploring sight lines, instrument and amp placements
- Hearing everyone and ending volume wars
Timing tempo and tuning
- Developing your internal sense of time
- Choosing song tempos and changing a wrong tempo
- Typical tempo issues and playing with time
- Tuning tips and issues for every instrument
Understanding and building groove
- Finding your instrument’s rhythmic role
- Building right rhythms in different song types
- Creating musical space
- Identifying where rhythms go wrong
Working with incomplete ensembles
- Filling up the sonic spectrum
- Covering for missing instruments
- Working with too many of the same instrument
- Playing dynamically
- Types of dynamics
- Using volumes and subdivisions
- Range colour and texture
- Tension and release
Communication and listening skills
- Forms of planned and spontaneous communication
- Developing listening skills
- Learn to lead and follow musically
Going beyond the mechanics of music
- Conveying meaning and emotion
- Matching lyrics and theme with the music
- Using sounds and chord substitutions to create emotion
- On screen graphics for enhanced learning
- Demos, play alongs and downloadable practice materials
- 30 exercises for your worship team to use
All worked out step-by-step, using worship songs and hymns
Who is it for?
This course is suitable for singers and musicians of all ability levels and styles. Suitable for contemporary bands, orchestral teams and blended ensembles.
With video lessons, on-screen graphics, tips, ideas and 30 worship song based exercises for your team to try.
The most useful band skills course I’ve found, ideal for worship team training
“Whether you’re a small worship group just starting out or a seasoned large worship team, there is so much in this new Band Skills set for you to learn from. It’s clearly come from real world experience of both leading worship and hands-on training that Musicademy have run themselves.
While it’s all helpful when watched as an individual, this course comes into its own when you use it as a team; with thought provoking questions and guided exercises to discuss and apply what you’re learning as you go through it. There’s enough material to use across four or five different team evenings at least.
We’ve used various resources over the years with our 30+ people worship team, but this is far by the most practical and applicable I’ve seen.
If you were wondering what would take your worship team’s band skills to the next level, you’ve just found it.”
Simon Patrick, Worship Leader, King’s Church High Wycombe (members of Musicademy's subscription site)