- If there are two of you then STICK TO YOUR PART. Learn that discipline if you haven’t already. Talk to the other singer and decide together whether you will go for the 3rd or the 5th (the higher or lower backing vocal line).
- Space is just important as filling it- sometimes more important! Just because you have a beautiful voice, does not mean you have to sing BVs all through the song. Especially if you are singing sections of the song in three part harmony; think about just allowing the other BV to sing alone so that the song only uses one harmony part where appropriate or even having no BVs at times if the song asks for space. Put the song first and think musically about what the overall sound needs, not just what you fancy singing ;). I find just asking God what and where to sing helps and being connected to him throughout. Again, kind of an obvious one but it is surprisingly easy to over-think and disengage the spirit!
- Consider varying between a harmony and improvisational licks (according to how connected you are with the song and what you therefore naturally hear in the wider arrangement).
- If you are a lone BVer then do the opposite of top tip 1: Be adventurous! Jump between high & low harmonies as you feel the music expresses.
- Try ‘Inverting’ as a harmony tool for effect. For example, if you are the only BV then you could start on the lower harmony and invert up to the higher harmony later in the song to lift the chorus and bring more ‘umph’ and dynamic into the song. If there are two of you, you could both invert. Don’t be afraid to try stuff out in the rehearsal and go for it- you are as much part of the band as keys or guitar so if you need a minute to work something out then ask for it!
Harmony backing track for Beautiful One
The video below is a clip from the Harmony & Backing Vocals Course. This course (available on DVD, online download and via our subscription site) are a bit of a departure for us in as much as these are more about a copy and play along style of learning rather than a comprehensive video tutorial in our other products. Read More